Today I’d like to share with you a goal setting technique that is a great way to start the New Year and also a lot of fun.
An important principle of effective goal setting is summed up by the following quote:
“Start with the end in mind”
- Stephen Covey
What this means is that whenever you set a goal, you should visualize exactly what your objective will look like when it is complete.
A good way to apply this principle to the new year, is to find a quiet spot where you won’t be disturbed and spend some time thinking about what you would like your life to look like on December 31st.
Some areas to consider are:
- How would you like to look and feel physically?
- How much would you like to weigh?
- What kind of regular exercise would you like to be doing?
- What kind of foods would you like to be eating?
- What would you like your family life to look like?
- Who would you like to be spending more time with?
- Who would you like to be spending less time with?
- Who would your circle of friends include?
- What kind of work would you like to be doing?
- Where would you like to be working?
- Who would you like to be working with?
- What position would you like to have?
- How much money would you like to be earning?
- How much money would you like to be saving/investing?
- What items would you like to have purchased?
- How would you like to be making a contribution to the world around you?
- What groups would you like to be involved with?
Your Personal Interests:
- What personal interests would you like to be pursuing?
Visualizing what you would like your life to look like at the end of this year is a great way to develop clear, concise and realistic goals.
Now here’s the twist…
Once you have a list of specific goals that you would like to achieve over the next twelve months, visit the website www.futureme.org.
This website allows you to send an email to yourself in the future!
All you have to do is:
(1) Type in your email address
(2) Write a Subject such as, “Hi – Its you from the past!”
(3) Write a message to your future self
(4) Choose to make your message private or public (I made mine private)
(5) Choose a date on which to receive your email
(6) Enter a verification code
(7) Click the ‘Send this to the future’ button
(8) Check your inbox for an email containing a link that you can click on to verify your email address.
I did this exercise a few days ago and had great fun writing to my future self. I included the specific goals I would like to achieve this year and also reminded myself to be happy and thankful for all the good things in my life.
I chose to receive my email on December 31st which will allow me to compare the goals I set at the beginning of the year with my actual results on the last day of the year.
If you ever have problems forgetting what your new year goals were or you always manage to lose the piece of paper you wrote your goals on, this is the perfect solution!
So today I’d like to encourage you to ‘start with the end in mind’ and think about what you would like your life to look like by the end of this year. Once you have clarified your goals, take a moment to send an email to your future self using the www.futureme.org website.
There is no cost involved and it is a great way to motivate yourself to get started on your goals immediately.
Until next time,
Dare To Dream!